Study and Work in Canada For International Students

Do you know that it’s completely possible to work and study in Canada at the same time?! Canada is the kind of country that actually encourages international students to study as well as work. 

In this blog, we are going to talk about the same!

Work and Study in Canada at the same time!

Canada allows some international students to work and study in the country by meeting the eligibility requirements. 

There are many ways by which one can get to study in Canada while they are also earning. This earning not only helps them become financially capable of supporting themselves but also their spouse or partner. 

Also, do you know that you have the chance to get Canada PR after graduation?! Yes, you do!

There are different ways to be able to get a job while you are still studying as a foreign student in Canada. Some ways are:

Download Free Immigration and PR Guide PDF

1. Work on-campus

The meaning of work on-campus is that the foreign student is allowed to work on their school campus.

The student can work for the school, the student organization, a faculty member, a private business, themselves, or for a private contractor. 

To be able to work on-campus, as an international student, you must have already started studying in Canada.

If your study program hasn’t started yet, you cannot work on-campus. 

You don’t need a work permit to work on-campus. And they can work for as many hours as they want. 

Also, your study permit must list the condition that you’re permitted to work on-campus or off-campus in Canada. 

Who can work on-campus?

  • must be a full-time post-secondary student
  • possess a valid study permit
  • must have a social insurance number 
  • work conditions must be permitted on the study permit 

2. Work off-campus

As the name suggests, you can work off-campus. But first, both you and your employer must ensure that you can work without a work permit. 

If you aren’t eligible for the same, you might need to leave the country. 

Also, you cannot start working unless your study program has started. Similar to working on-campus criteria, working permissions must be printed on your study permit. 

Usually, you are allowed to work 20-hours per week off-campus. 

Who can work off-campus?

To be eligible to work off-campus while studying, the international student must meet all the requirements:

  • be a full-time student at a DLI
  • must have already started studying
  • have a social insurance number 
  • your study program must be at least 6 months long, and leads to a degree/ diploma/ certificate
  • be either enrolled in a post secondary program or a secondary-level program which is Quebec only

3. Help spouse/ partner work in Canada

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit, if you:

  • possess a valid study permit
  • eligible for post-graduation work permit
  • are a full-time student at a- Canadian private school, private college-level school (Quebec) or public post-secondary school

This open work permit will be valid for as long as your study permit is valid. 

4. Work as a co-op student or intern

To work as a co-op or intern work permit, you must meet the below given criteria:

  • possess a valid study permit
  • The co-op or internship must be 50% or less of the study program
  • required to work to complete a study program 
  • must have a letter from school confirming that you need to work to get the degree

5. Work in Canada after graduation

Now that you have graduated, you can work in Canada but you need a work permit for the same. 

To work in Canada after graduation, you can either apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) or other type of work permit. 

Now that you have enough Canadian education, and Canadian work experience, you might want to apply for permanent residence in Canada. 

Immigration options for international students who worked while studying in Canada:

  1. Provincial Nominee Program
  2. Atlantic Immigration Program
  3. Federal Skilled Worker Program
  4. Federal Skilled Trades Program
  5. Canadian Experience Class
  6. Rural Northern Immigration Pilot

We are sure that most of your doubts about how to work and study in Canada as an international student are gone. 

In case you need any other information, why don’t you go ahead and hit the Contact Us button?! We are always here to help. 

Don’t forget to fill the form below to get some insights and advice from our experts! 

Niyati Chaurasia

Niyati Chaurasia

Niyati’s specialty lies in Canadian immigration matters along with crafting helpful, user-oriented content.

Articles: 690

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *